Monday, October 19, 2009

Above pic is totally unrelated to blog topic. But doesn't Holden look like me in this pic?

This is just one moment; it’s not the rest of your life.

I’ve been having a little bit of trouble lately. I start writing a word or two and then sit as the cursor flashes, waiting for something more to come out. I have to admit I have also been screening calls, it’s gotten so bad that the only calls I answer now are from my dear husband, my stepmom, or my brother. It’s nothing personal; I just have nothing to say. I don’t want to hear stories about how your cat did something funny today or about you. The thing about grief is that it is pretty consuming and becomes all about me. Which is a shame because everyone involved wants to help the other people but doesn’t generally have the emotional resources left after doing their own grieving to help the others.

Yesterday was a good day with dad, yesterday he spoke to me. I was crying, saying,

“You always had all the answers, you’re my dad.”

He looked up at me and said clearly,

“I don’t have all the answers.”

I’ve known it for years in my head, since I was much younger and there were questions my parents couldn’t answer anymore. But in my heart he is still the person I go to for all the answers. How to change the oil, how to tape drywall, how to get my kid to sleep through the night, how to lay bathroom tile—the person I call to help with my taxes and to babysit. He has always been that person.

It annoyed my husband when we first got married, but I became more creative about asking Dad’s advice. I didn’t do it in front of my dear husband. There were/are just things we haven’t done and don’t know at our (young?) age.

I have always been a main beneficiary of Dad's wisdom, and his memory is akin to a steel trap. You want to know how to fly-fish? He can tell you. Would you like to learn how to be a great wrestler? He can teach you. You want to know how to start a fire like a boy scout? He will show you. Do you want to know the names of every battle of the war of 1812? He can tell you that too.

I was listening to a sermon on the radio the other day about people and prayer. The host was talking about how many people think God is their errand boy. If I ask Him to do this, then He will do it. Need to lose weight? God will help with that. Want to get rich? God will help with that too. Want someone to keep on living? Oh, God will answer that prayer.

I get a little confused when people say they will pray for my dad. I’m not really sure what that prayer sounds like. If someone is terminally ill, are they praying that he gets better? That he is comfortable? Every time someone tells me they’re praying for him, I want to say: You should be praying for the family. He is going to be in a good place when this is all over and we are going to be in pain.


But maybe that’s just the grief talking.

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Maybe this post was rhetorical and l know we aren't exactly close but my prayer is this: That you and your family will be comforted no matter what happens. That if it is God's will, your father might improve. If it is His desire to call your father home that you and yours might have comfort and peace and hope that this is not the end. Christ once said; "Peace l leave with you, my peace l give unto you: not as the world giveth, give l unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Jesus can no promise us the absence of conflict and sorrow. This is the unattainable peace of the world. Christ can and will give us peace amidst conflict and. This is what l pray for. That you and your family will have this peace and comfort as you deal with whatever comes. l know you are a person of faith and you probably already know all of this but l have felt very strongly for weeks now that l should share this with you. l don't mean to be invasive. l just wanted to share what has helped me so many times.

Kara said...

It was half rhetorical and half an actual question. I think you make a great point about the love of God giving peace. In times of uncertainty or pain, the fear of those things is often the source of great anxiety (at least for me). Thanks for your prayers, and for de-lurking! I love having readers who comment :) My poor blog gets to looking a little pathetic when I get no comments. I know you readers are out there...especially you daily lurkers. You know who you are.
I guess even if I don't hear from everyone I'm just glad you come back to read more!