Thursday, October 1, 2009




Yesterday when Tony came home he found me lying on the couch watching Rosemary’s Baby (which happens to be directed by Roman Polanski--coincidence that they are running it this week? I think not) on HBO and Holden running around the house playing with toys. But don’t worry, if you’ve ever seen Rosemary’s Baby it’s mostly just a girl sitting around her apartment having weird feelings. And the one part in the beginning with the dream/drugged scene he wasn’t anywhere near the TV so I know he didn’t see it.

I didn’t get to the end before I had to leave for an appointment so I don’t know how it ends. Don’t tell me though because I’m thinking that sometime before Halloween I’m going to be able to finish watching it.

There is one HBO station that is kind of fun right now because it’s all scary movies all the time…

I’m guessing it's just for the month of October but maybe it’s always like that.

To celebrate the beginning of my favorite month of the year I've compiled a list of my favorite scary movies/thrillers:

1.) The Exorcist (I used to think the name Reagan was cute for a little girl, now not so much)
It happens to be the scariest movie of all time.


2.) Poltergeist (I just enjoyed the vibe of it and that it was an older one—and could my house have been built on an ancient Native American burial ground?)

3.) The Shining (all work and no play makes Kara a dull girl)

4.) It -- (The nursery in my church has a clown theme with a figurine of a clown sitting on a shelf. I have a hard time sitting in there alone with the clown. It creeps me out. And right after I watch IT I have a hard time looking at the bathroom drains too.
The movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid except I had never seen the end of it until last year because I guess I’m like Phoebe Buffay and don’t watch the end of scary movies. I am determined to finish Rosemary’s Baby sometime this month though. It’s a classic.

5.) Mothman Prophecies (I still imagine sometimes that I’ve seen the mothman and that some horribly tragic event will befall me—I guess things like suicide and cancer and death of loved ones don’t count for some reason in my mind).


Just talking about my favorite scary movies makes me want to put up the kitschy (or tacky as my husband refers to it) Halloween shower curtain and bath rug I bought from the Terry’s Village catalog one year. My sister-in-law happens to be head of one of the design teams for that company and when he told her that I bought that particular set she looked at him incredulously, laughed and said,

No, she didn’t. Only little old ladies buy those!”


I sheepishly admitted that I had, in fact, just purchased the curtain and rug but held off on buying the whole Halloween bathroom set with soap dish, towels, Kleenex covers and the like.


I do still allow myself this one tacky pleasure…decorating my bathroom using a black shower curtain with a large pattern of bright orange jack-o-lanterns all over it and (of course) the matching rug…


For the entire month of October every year for the last 4 years.

It’s really the small things in life, you know?

No comments: