Thursday, August 12, 2010

But I want it all

As I was loosely following my daily routine today, I started thinking about passion. I wonder how many people actually do something they love on a daily basis. I also wonder how many people started out doing something they love and ended up somewhere else.

I must first say I love spending time at home with my son. He is a little ray of sunshine, and a blessing in my life.

This morning I started thinking about the few times within the last few months that I can recall a clear and abundant feeling of exhilaration with what I was doing
(of course excluding marital moments which isn't exactly the topic at hand here! ;)

The first is when I was doing simulation as charge nurse at school. That felt right.

The second was when I was driving home from an auction where I found some great deals and spent only $18. I went on a whim, spent the morning bidding, and every time I see the antique primary colored Pyrex mixing bowls I bought (among other things) sitting in the cupboard, it makes me smile.

Now, it is unclear to me whether the feeling of exhilaration from these activities is because I am meant to do them or because I am an adrenaline junkie. I have a tendency to believe it is the latter, because I also love roller coasters and scary movies and almost became a paramedic instead of a nurse.

The other time I feel my best is when I am baking. Anything. I would open a bakery if I thought I could actually make money doing it.

Is there some way to open a bakery/antique shop, have children, and work 3 shifts as a nurse on the side?


Do you love your job now? What would you do if money were no object?

No comments: