Monday, August 23, 2010

Static

I've been debating with myself over whether to post this or not, but I have to comment. I just have to.

I was having a conversation with someone the other night, and this person said (to paraphrase),

'I don't see the point in having a 10 year reunion because no one has changed at all except the expected changes anyway. I know I haven't changed at all.'

I think there were three people sitting in the conversation. No one responded. I'm not sure if the mutual silence was recoil or if the other people were in agreement with this (apparently stunted) individual. It took me a minute to regain my voice, but then I tried to gracefully and tactfully respond that I couldn't think of anything that hadn't changed in my life.

I find myself replaying this conversation and feeling vaguely sorry for this person right now.

But this blog isn't about other people, it's about me. And it's about how the one thing I took away from this weekend is that as I've grown up I have learned and I hope many others have too...I have never felt regret for being kind to people.

And really kind.

Not just to their face, in your head too. Wish them well, be interested in their lives. Other people's successes are not your failures. Most people are just like you, trying to get by.

It is totally worth the extra effort.

But I'm not gonna lie, I'm not planning another reunion. Ever again. Or if you want the unedited version directly from my brain:

When hell freezes over.

No comments: