Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Scenic Route

I was flat-ironing my hair this morning and wondering about my class reunion, which I briefly mentioned in my last post. It is causing me a lot of anxiety, even though I have seen pretty much all of the people who will be there at least once since I graduated from high school.

I think the most anxiety producing aspect of a reunion for me is making small talk. I've never been good at it. In a rare mood I can turn on the charm and be "on" for an hour or two. If I drink half of a fifth of vodka it can last slightly longer (that's 8 drinks for anyone interested). My husband is the one with the sparkle, and I am content to sit back and enjoy people watching.

I don't want to talk about my life much. A conversation isn't like a blog.

I don't have an hour to edit it.

I don't want to talk to my former cross-country teammate or the people who worked with me in the lunch line about how since high school both my parents have died, I have been pregnant 5 times, gotten married, been in school intermittently and haven't finished yet (nor will I for many years), my career goals, or retirement plans.

The only thing I feel is a safe topic is my wonderful child, and I definitely don't want to be one of those boring people who only want to talk about their kids.

But maybe I am.

How about politics, religion, or the economy?

Maybe I should pay a visit to the MSN wonderwall ?

I should not be wasting time thinking about this on a Tuesday morning.

As you may be able to tell productivity is my middle name these days.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Wish I could be there with you...at least we could watch and laugh together! : )Hopefully it will go well! Miss you bunches!!

Megan said...

Oh...and love the name of the blog....Coincidence or on purpose?? ; )

Kara said...

Oh my gosh, totally coincidence but totally hilarious that you thought of that :)

Megan said...

haha I thought it probably was but since we were talking about the past....it fit! : )