Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blah-g

I used to always tell people fall is my favorite time of year. I think I even told you that recently.

Upon further reflection, I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Is it possible to be wrong about your own favorite season? Fall used to be my favorite season. The football, the chill in the air, the crisp leaves and the colors.

But now ringing (true) in my ears are my therapist's words from last year about seasonal affective disorder and her suggestion that I consider buying daylight spectrum lights for my house. Because it might make me feel better.

I think it might.

Now before you go telling me you can't cure depression with daylight spectrum lights I have to tell you it's more of a funk than depression. I think it's more related to exhaustion than any actual chemical imbalance.

So perhaps 10-12 hours of sleep and then 12-14 hours of daylight spectrum light would help.

I think I can pinpoint the year that fall dropped off the top of my favorite list. It was fall 2002. I have just been hanging on with the hope that it will climb back to the top. I think I am finally willing to concede that my favorite season is now officially summer.

My reasoning:
1) It is the sunniest of all the seasons
2) It is my husband's favorite season and therefore best mood(s)
3) No one I love (besides a dog) has died in the summer.


As an aside...Do you think perhaps this change in love of seasons is sort of like everything in marriage? At some point things start to merge the longer you are together, even down to your looks?

No comments: