Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

I was just reading a great post from a friend and it reminded me how much courage it often takes just to be ourselves. It may have taken me awhile to get here (at almost 30 years old), but now when someone questions my decisions/abilities/strengths I am able to look them in the eye calmly and smile. I don't go home and start crying because I fear they are right. We all have our insecurities, but decision making is no longer one of mine.

On the journey I have realized that no matter what it is I am doing, I can always change it. I don't have to be stuck in one place simply because my pride tells me I should be or I feel like I should be happy there. Should is a word I have started to ignore and instead put in words like desire, motivation, determination, vocation. It's a whole lot easier to get up in the morning and get moving when you have a vision for what God has called you to do.

I think God often lets us decide how we want to get there because we learn so much more along the way than we would if we did it all the quick and easy way from the gate. Sometimes it is a 2 year plan and sometimes it is a 40 year plan.

I have so much respect for people who continually seek to be inspired & challenged beyond what has already been accomplished.



"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:11-13

2 comments:

Stef said...

I love this post, Kara, and I love the verse you posted. (And God bless you for giving me the hope that people read my blog and it matters.) It is so humbling to me that if you had asked me seven years ago what I hoped to be doing today-- I would tell you my EXACT job. I'm grieving the loss of this dream! You have also lived this out in your life-- good luck on your next journey! May it not be your last.

Stef said...

The other thing I was going to say-- a few comments from my fancy graduate counseling classes...
* Don't 'should' on yourself.
* Don't 'must'erbate.
Well, there you go.
Love ya.