Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas goodies

Holden wants a train tunnel for Christmas. This one is approximately $7 online. This is what I want his train tunnel to look like. Why didn't I order this one, you ask? I'm not really sure except I think he would break it within the first 10 minutes of owning it.
This is what our train tunnel actually looks like. My husband constructed it and did a good job but I am struggling with how to make it look like a mountain tunnel. I understand I have an almost-three year old and he doesn't care. The mountain tunnel thing is probably more for me than for him...

Christmas fun!

I'm also thinking about making my two all-time favorite recipes this week:
The best part about the recipe is that it's written in my mom's handwriting.
Bavarian Mints
1 lb milk chocolate
1 square baking chocolate
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp vanilla
5-8 drops peppermint oil
Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler over med. heat. Stir chocolate. Warm a glass bowl and add chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and peppermint oil in warm bowl. Mix medium speed 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour taking out every 10 min. and beat on high speed for 1 minute. Line pan with wax paper and spread in pan. Refrigerate and cut in small squares.
And recipe from my aunt:
No Fail Cut Out Sugar Cookies
1 C. butter
2 C. Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C. Sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
5 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. almond extract
Preheat oven to 375 F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and extracts. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add to butter mixture about 1 cup at a time. Roll out dough on well floured surface (remember to flour top of dough before rolling). Roll to desired thickness. Cut and place on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
You should double this recipe when you make it because people will eat soooo many of these!

2 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Hey try using plaster or drywall mud to form the mountain and then paint it after it dries. That would be a cool train tunnel then!

Natalie said...

Love the train tunnel....I think the mountain one is overrated, the homemade one is very cool!! Although for $7, I think I would have just ordered 2 so when he broke the first one you had a replacement! :)