Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Egg on my face.


I broke out the new mixer today. Just when I started thinking: Wow! This is easy! I cracked an egg and dropped (the whole thing) into the bowl of the mixer.


CRUNCH! Crushed to pieces. I tried to get it out but don’t think I necessarily salvaged all of the shell. So we might have a slightly crunchy pound cake to enjoy later.


I couldn’t start over because I used the last of my real butter on the project. Paula Deen I am not, but I did learn a lesson in humility from my Kitchenaid this morning. Now, onto the cheese ball covered in nuts! I have faith this one is going to turn out better than my first foray into auto-mixing my food.


I was so looking forward to sharing the pound cake with my grandmother as we both have a love for buttery, sugary pound cake. But now I don’t know if I can risk giving it to her unless I warn her first. A baked gift just isn’t the same if you have to say,


“There’s a possibility it may have eggshells in it.”


Not much can deflate the ego faster than admitting that something you’re usually good at has turned into a failure. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is stepping on the scale after New Year’s Day and realizing that the pound cake you’ve been eating should really be called:


Pack on the Pounds Cake


Why do you think I’m trying to give the cake away?


To avoid that particular scenario 5 days from now.


One day left of 2009! I am so looking forward to making that final X on my calendar for the year. I just know 2010 holds better things for our family. I hope you are all looking forward to the future as well, and enjoying the end of the year.


Go Big Red!

No comments: