Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight?

You know the claymation version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? I walked outside this morning to let my dogs out and the weather is sort of like that. With the whistling wind and all.

Without a flying sleigh, and a neon nosed reindeer, I somehow doubt we're going to make it to the Christmas eve/day festivities.

So at 6:50 this morning I called my husband.

"Why did you go to work today and why did you not take a cell phone?" (It's too early in the morning to be this irritable, isn't it? I still have a few dozen cutout cookies to bake).

"It wasn't that bad. I left the phone so you can pick me up when I get off work and we can go and stay in Lincoln."

Left me the rear wheel drive car for a road with 0.25" of ice. And a 20 month old. And three dogs. And wants me to stay at his grandparents (3 bedroom) house with 10 other people for 3 days? Oh my goodness I don't know which is a worse idea. But my wonderful husband just wants us to have a wonderful Christmas and see our family. I have to give him tons of credit for being a good family man. Which he is.

So now all I have to do is bake cookies, clean our house, load up ALL the presents, pack two bags with enough clothing for 4 days, find the dog's leashes, fill up the car with gas, put an emergency kit in the car, get my kid bundled up, hope I (we) don't die on the road, pick up my husband from work, drop the dogs off at the vet, and find somewhere to sleep (probably on the floor) at my in-laws house. Fun.

Not unlike Santa in the Rudolph movie, our Santa isn't quite ready for Christmas either, but the storm will stop (ahem) him from finishing gift buying. There were only two left to buy anyway. Can you believe I'm feeling guilty for something I have no control over (the weather, not the gift buying)(this is a rhetorical question)?

I'm so calling my dear husband back later today and discussing this further.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Good luck!! I think husbands sometimes forget that it takes more to get out the door than just them packing their clothing!! :) We had that "discussion" at our house yesterday as I was franticaly packing food for 3 Christmases (plus 2 extra meals in case we got snowed in at Tom's dads), every last gift under our tree, all the Santa stuff that was still hiding in the closet, and clothes for 4 days for Makenzie and I so that we could trek to Cozad. My dear husband packed his own bag and couldn't figure out whey I was so stressed! :) I think actually the roads are better here today than they were yesterday, so we probably could have just stayed home and still made all our Christmases! Ugh! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas! Love you!

Anonymous said...

So you all know, Kara didn't need to get all of the ready on her own. Her loving husband came home early from work and helped to get everything ready. Then he let her stay at her grandparents. So things weren't as bad as previosly mentioned.