Saturday, January 2, 2010

Georgia on My Mind




When my grandparents moved from their old house into a townhouse 4 years ago, I helped them clean out the basement and scored several pieces of family furniture.
Two of my favorites are currently in use in my house--my great grandmother's table/desk is currently in use as my kitchen table, and an old record player my biological grandfather bought brand new in the 50's is sitting in my living room.
For the first few years of our marriage it was still a working record player and we used to dance around our living room listening to Willie Nelson's album "Stardust" because for some reason when he sings Georgia On My Mind I just melt. Can you think of anything better to do on a hot summer night than put the kid(s) to bed, turn the lights down, and dance to that song with the crackle of a record player?
I can't.
Then some days he would come home from work and I would have our Jackson Browne record blaring while cooking dinner because I'm convinced that Running On Empty is hands down one of the best songs ever made. But I have a strange affinity for 70's music so take that for what it's worth.
Needless to say, I was sad when the turntable in our 50 year old record player finally took it's last spin. But ever looking for ways to decorate in 50's style on the cheap, I decided we should gut it, replace the worn and not so pretty panels of fabric, and continue using it as our TV stand. We (and by we I mean Tony) finally got around to taking the guts out of it and helping me with the fabric panels tonight, and I'm thrilled with the result.
...just an old, sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it!! It looks great! Good Job!!!