Sunday, January 31, 2010

The princess and the frog

I just spent 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Watching a lifetime movie.

I'm not really one of those people who think that everyminute should be spent doing something productive or life will not be worth living. I enjoy watching mindless TV, surfing the internet, shopping, and doing other pretty pointless things with my time. But this was the ultimate mind-numbing movie/waste of time I have watched in a long time (and I watch the Bachelor so that will give you a better indication of how bad this movie actually was...)

It was essentially a Cinderella story, only make Cinderella a fat magazine editor. Who loses weight/gets the guy/gets a book deal. Let me just say I am not necessarily opposed to any one of those scenarios in a movie/show (or in real life for that matter)--but this one was particularly painful to watch, in a

"Oooo, I'm 35 and don't know myself at all" way.

I grow weary of Cinderella propaganda, and just want to say: Hey girls/ladies...you're not a princess and that's okay. Life will still be good, and bad, and sad, and happy.

It's okay to walk barefoot if those glass slippers don't quite fit anymore.

Forgive me if you're thirty five and don't know yourself at all/happen to be overweight and single, own a cat and are a book editor. Which, by the way if you're a book editor and reading this you should email me. STAT.

Because I could find a date for you.

Or write a book for you.

Earlier today "daddy" (or DH as I affectionately refer to him) swore in the car while he was driving us through Lincoln (although now it escapes me as to why he was swearing) and our dear sweet child parroted it back...So my husband, quick thinker that he is, said:

"Yes, frog. Frog."

my dear boy walked up to me later this afternoon with a pencil and paper, shoved them into my hands and said, "fuck? fuck?"

Huh. Took me a minute, but then I drew like 10 frogs.

(And trains, and cats. Per the little guy's request.)

I love being a mother. Not a dull moment.

5 comments:

Amanda S. said...

lol thats so funny! Thanks for sharing, teaches me to start watching more what comes out of my mouth!

Unknown said...

lol.. that's fantastic!

Renee said...

That is hilarious!! I am laughing out loud as I write this! It was great seeing you this weekend! Hopefully, we can get the boys together sometime soon to play!

Messy Mommy said...

Greetings fellow Nebraskan! I have to be careful when I watch lifetime. Before I know it an entire day has gone by. Love the movies but haven't seen that one.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!! I totally laughed out loud! lol That is hilarious! : ) Can't wait to see you guys!!