Friday, May 7, 2010

MSG


We got our membership to the Children's zoo this week. Holden had such a good time it was hard to drag him out of there, but he was sleeping sweetly in his carseat within minutes of our departure.
Big white peacock looking a little Godzilla-ish in the mini-train town the zoo had set up for a special weekend event-------------------->
Holden riding a creepy butterfly larvae by the butterfly house....

and me, with my new glasses. It only took 8 months.

















Lately I've been thinking about how to prevent my headaches, and the list of foods I am not supposed to eat. Here is an abbreviated version of the no-no list:

Ripened cheeses (like cheddar), chocolate, vinegar, anything fermented, pickled or marinated, sour cream, yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, hot fresh breads, coffeecake and doughnuts, bananas, pizza, onions, citrus foods, fermented meats, pork, avocado, all alcoholic beverages, and avoid MSG.




I was horrified to learn yesterday as I was doing research on foods to eat...that everything in my pantry has MSG in it. I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not. Luckily, the US Postal service is doing a food drive tomorrow so I just put everything in a plastic bag and now don't have to feel guilty about getting rid of it. Not that less fortunate people should be subjected to high levels of MSG, but at least it's something.




This shocking discovery has me disconcerted...while all the products do not specifically say monosodium glutamate, most all of them do have some product that is or can become MSG when processed. So now, I not only want to protect myself from this product but my child (who for his entire life thus far I seem to have been filling with this product).


I have no solid answers, my research continues. But so far, the only thing I have had to eat today is some applesauce, french fries (I am suspicious that they may contain something that is not listed on the ingredient list), and broccoli sauteed in olive oil.



The closest Whole Foods store to my house is 90 miles away.




Seriously, go look in your pantry for these ingredients: glutamate, glutamic acid, gelatin, monosodium glutamate, calcium caseinate, textured protein, monopotassium glutamate, sodium caseinate, yeast nutrient, yeast extract, yeast food, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, hydrolyzed corn gluten, natrium glutamate, any hydrolyzed soy product...




I can't tell you how much I am already craving some Chinese food.



This could get interesting.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Love, love love the new glasses!! Hope you guys are doing well!