Tuesday, May 11, 2010

When you wish upon a star...

The Walt Disney company hears...cha ching!

I tiptoed over the baby gate in front of Holden's door to check on him a half hour or so after the bedtime wailing quieted down and found him clutching his Mickey Mouse doll (that I found at Walgreens...who knew it was so hard to find a plush Mickey around here?) as he does every night while he cries himself to sleep.

It actually nearly brought a nostalgic tear to my eye because his sweet little lashes were closed tightly with arms clutching a Mickey Mouse doll on his little mattress laying on the floor under a bedroom sky dotted with fake stick on stars glowing in the dark.

And then my cynical side once again cursed the genius marketers.

They always manage to suck me in.

But aside from the marketers and the way they make my child beg for
"Mickey Mouse Pubhouse!" many times throughout the day, I do enjoy being a parent because I have an excuse to play again. To spend hours playing baseball, fake wrestling and tackling, to listen to the joy in my child's voice when he learns something new.

DH and I were discussing the perfect age to go to Disney World, which I happen to think is about 5 or 6. I guess DH never went to Disney World so he doesn't think it would be fun...but I went at 16 and still thought it was great.

I started the Disney World discussion with him because I think
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/
is going to be the best theme park ever. I am beyond excited to go see it. (And so glad I have a young child and an excuse to head down to Florida). But I guess I don't really need an excuse, I have always loved fantasy/imaginary places--like Six Flags, Universal Studios, Medieval Times, even wax museums fascinate me...the mystery, the drama, the excitement, the imagination.


I guess with my life it's lucky I like rollercoasters.

No comments: