Thursday, July 15, 2010

I have a confession to make. In the four years I have lived here I have never--not even once--cleaned the oven in my house.

And no, it is not a self-cleaning oven.

There I said it, although it won't surprise any of you who have been my roommates. I had to go out and buy oven cleaner yesterday because while I was gone it appears as though my dear husband was cooking something that spilled over a ridiculous amount of sauce on the bottom of the stove and filled the house with smoke two days ago as I was trying to cook dinner.

To be quite honest, I don't even know how to clean a gas oven and am mildly concerned about
a) the pilot light being on and
b) the fumes from the Easy Off affecting my child, dogs, and cat.


I have set the can out in plain view on the kitchen counter so my husband will notice it (and he doesn't read my blog). I think it may end up somewhat like the shower cleaning standoff of 2010 (which I lost by the way--and I'm pretty sure my husband didn't even notice was happening).

I'm a good wife, eh? I did clean up the dog poop in the kennel yesterday so I gave myself a big pat on the back for that.

The other battle I am currently embroiled in is The Bedtime Battle, which may also be referred to as Please, Please, Please just sleep alone my angel faced child...sleep damn it! I'm not sure it is advisable to take on toilet training this week as well, especially since my dear child has had a bad case of diarrhea for the last three days.

I'm still considering it.

Like I told the doctor when we went in for Holden's 2 year appointment: The lack of toilet training has less to do with Holden's readiness than it does to do with Mommy's lack of initiative.

My dear son is napping (alone) at the moment and I am sitting my cool, quiet bedroom (brand new a/c and heating system!), and considering taking a nap myself or reading a Sookie Stackhouse book.

It's good to be home.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have a self cleaning oven and have not even let it self-clean in the 3 years we've lived here!! It DESPERATELY needs cleaned, but everytime I think of it I'm home with the kids and don't want to stink up the whole house!!

Amanda S. said...

ok your not the only one who doesnt' clean their oven for 4+ years. I did the same and when i finally did clean it. I about died. Litterally. The fumes are extremely strong and horrible. Make sure Holden is not around at all. Open up your whole house b/c you needs lots of air to clear out the fumes. Oh and don't breath for like 10 minutes. I highly suggest using a mask b/c it gets into your lungs really badly and it hurts and burns. I suspect that its not good to be in that much pain and some damage was done. I used the same product, It works great but HOLY COW its nasty stuff!!! Be careful with it. Just some tips.

Kara said...

That makes me feel better. I think I'm going to ask my dear husband to take on the oven cleaning job while we are at Ager play center this weekend! ;)