Monday, July 26, 2010

I'll Be Seeing You


My 80 year old grandmother (my dad's mom) had 8 siblings. For as long as I can remember, during the last full weekend in July, I have attended the family reunion. It's been held at different locations throughout the years...but two things I have always been able to count on

1) good food
2) my dad being there with me

Of course the food was good this year. I even won the raffle prize (a CD player). My family was wonderful as always. But I have to admit I had to force myself to go. I'm glad I went--that we enjoyed the beautiful weather, talked to family and sang to my great-uncles' piano and guitar all night long.

I'll be seeing you
In all the old familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces
All day through.

In that small cafe;

The park across the way;
The children's carousel;
The chestnut trees;
The wishin' well.

I'll be seeing you

In every lovely summer's day;
In every thing that's light and gay.
I'll always think of you that way.

I'll find you

In the morning sun
And when the night is new.
I'll be looking at the moon,
But I'll be seeing you.


I got home from my time away from home and felt relieved, my home is as it should be--a sanctuary for my little family and me.

A soft place to land.

I think I say it all the time, but it can't hurt to say it again...I didn't know it was possible to feel so deeply. To have a sense of belonging so complete.

A place where joy and sorrow are equally shared.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Kara- I'm not sure I ever told you I took care of your grandma when she was in the hospital not too long ago. We'd been talking and visiting for awhile before I made the connection. Small world. :)

Kara said...

Thanks for taking good care of her! She has had a tough year.