Saturday, July 31, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

I spent the morning looking for a baptismal gift for my cousin (who is 10 and getting baptized tomorrow--we are the Godparents). While I was perusing the children's Bible section, I let Holden go play with one of those wire and wood toys that doctor's offices and random stores have sitting around to keep kids busy. When I was ready to leave, I picked him up and he threw a fit (which I should have seen coming).

Don't judge me. Instead of telling him no, paying and walking out with a screaming child as I should have done--I thought to myself...stickers! The kid loves stickers, so I used that to distract him. We found some Jesus stickers and bought them. I felt okay about it since I was going to start using stickers for potty training anyway.

As we left the store, I peeled off a Jesus sticker, handed it to him, and strapped him into his car seat on our way to HyVee to buy a cake frosted with a blue buttercream cross.

We got a few blocks away and I started listening to Holden, who carries his own "cell phone" in his car seat and has long phone conversations that usually consist of "Heyyyo?" and "Bye!". I glanced in the rearview mirror and my dear child had put the Jesus sticker on the earpiece of the phone and was holding it to his ear.

"What are you doing, Holden?" I asked.

Matter-of-factly he said,

"Talking (to) Jesus."

1 comment:

Megan said...

aww that is precious! I miss that little guy! : ) So cute!