Monday, March 21, 2011

I don't talk about this very much because most people don't want to hear it. But today I'm going to do it simply because I was just reading an article about it online at Kiplinger's magazine.

Whenever I (or we) talk to people about becoming debt free and not using credit cards this is what I hear...

"But I get cash back on my credit card purchases," and then they attempt to convince me that they are getting a good deal. So here it is for any of you that might possibly be able to be influenced about the use of rewards cards for purchases:



"The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago looked at the spending habits of people
before and after they were enrolled in a cash-back rewards program. The study
found that spending and debt increased by $79 and $191 a month, respectively,
with an average cash-back reward of $25. And 11% of cardholders who didn't use
their cards during the three months prior to enrolling in the cash-back program
spent at least $50 in the first month of the program.".




In the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you that when we relocate I
am looking at houses we cannot afford in cash and will probably take out a
mortgage. Although 30 years sounds like an awful long time for 2,200
square feet of living space. I wonder if it's worth it?

And also, the other day my dear son took my husband's debit card out of his
wallet and was pretending to pay for something. With plastic. I'm
going to have to go back to cash-only. My lack of commitment is
manifesting itself in my child's attitude toward money.

And he isn't even three yet!

No comments: