Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bottle Battle

My kid won't drink from a cup. I don't know if other mothers have this problem but it has caused much gnashing of teeth at my house as of late. The entire day I would only let Holden drink from a sippy cup or regular cup. As a result, he didn't drink much. By 6 p.m. he had had 10 oz. of milk/formula mix. If you aren't aware, a one year old should be getting 16-24 oz. of formula a day (and he is usually on the 24 oz. side of it). So then between 6 and 8:30 p.m. Holden drank 16 more ounces of milk/formula! My poor baby was starving! Maybe this was a rookie mistake? Tony ended up giving him a bedtime bottle at 8:00 (for comfort and to get that baby some fluids) and he ate 10 ounces in one sitting. Don't worry, we brush his teeth after bedtime bottles and before we lay him down in his crib.

I must admit I feel a little guilty. But I don't want to ruin his little teeth either by letting him keep having a bottle well into his second year. Questions to ask the doctor I guess. I don't want to make it a battle but he is a stubborn little guy. I wonder where he gets that?

He is doing pretty well on his cold turkey from the pacifier. I am quite impressed with his progress there. Unfortunately he is also teething (getting one of his bottom front teeth), so I think that is complicating things (like giving up the bottle).

I'm getting sick again (cold) so I really need to be getting to bed. Will write more tomorrow.

No comments: