Saturday, July 25, 2009

Well, it seems I've succeeded in freaking out much of my readership. I am overwhelmed by your support and very thankful.

I think I'm becoming miserly. I used to just be cheap but I really do think I am being miserly. As you know, our air conditioning broke a couple weeks ago. We then decided to turn it off for the weekend we were gone and see if it would "unfreeze" because that's what happens to it. So we got back and the first day back it still didn't work. At this point Tony thought it was time to call the repairman to come and fix it.

I, despite loathing hot weather, decided that we should just sweat it out for a few days and see what happened. Now all of a sudden it works and has been working all week. But the real deal is that despite being able to afford the guy to come and look at it and despite being able to afford to buy a whole new heating and a/c system, I am getting so cheap that I chose to be hot instead. A little worrisome--especially since I usually keep my house at a subzero temperature.

I keep it so cold because when I was growing up my dad always refused to turn the air on so it was always like 80 in our house. Now that I'm paying the electric bill I'm willing to be comfortable for a cool $100 a month. I have no problem with that.

Dad is still in the hospital and will be finishing radiation and then going to rehab for awhile. I'm not sure how long. It's a little frustrating because you ask the doctors "What is the prognosis?" and they waffle. You ask them, "Will chemo do any good?" and they waffle, you ask them "How long do you estimate him to be in rehab?"and they flat out say they don't know. AND I still haven't seen the oncologist. How do you tell someone and their family that they have brain cancer and then make them wait two weeks to have a conference about the treatment plan? I'm going to start calling people myself next week if I don't get that doctor in a room to grill him about all this very very soon.

1 comment:

AEdwards said...

Hi Kara,
Not sure if this is an option, but I happen to know quite a few Neurologists well...a bit out of the NE-area, but if you ever need to speak with 1) a neuro-med onc and 2) one who knows the answers to your questions, come see me. Or perhaps I can phone in a favor and have them check out his chart? I'm here for anything you need.