Saturday, February 6, 2010

It could happen to you.








Last July I saw this bowl on the bridal registry of Tony's cousin. I wanted it, I wanted it bad. It's a bread basket. It was $50. I would get online and look at it at least once a week, working up the courage to buy it, until one day, my dear husband walked up behind me,




"What are you looking at?"




"This bowl. I want this bowl."




"It's fifty dollars. You're not buying a bowl for fifty dollars."




And, just like that, my dreams of filling my house with Williams-Sonoma products (like I'm Oprah or something) slipped through my fingers.
But 8 months later I found it for $4. At Goodwill. It's a cream color, but for $4 I don't care.


I should be working on the 7 hours of homework I have, but I'm enjoying frittering away my Saturday. And I know my blog is wilting away, much like every houseplant I have ever owned. In fact, I refused to take any plants home that were given as gifts at my dad's funeral because I knew I would just kill them. Or Holden would. Or the dogs would.

My house is not a good place for living things other than humans or dogs. I consider it a success that my blog has lasted this long. Because we're all well aware of my inability to finish projects and my occasional (?) slovenliness: Things like my basement, kitchen, yard, bathroom, and education. I have to celebrate small successes like (over)sharing my life with random people for a year on the internet.
If I had a groundhog day resolution it would be: Learn to finish projects you start.
(I know it's February 6th. I'm running a little behind. And strangely enough groundhog day is one of my favorite holidays).

I'll leave you with one more pre-superbowl, haven't stuffed yourself with pigs-in-a-blanket/tostitos/hot wings/spinach-artichoke dip thought.
If you shop at Wal-Mart, because like me you are able to ignore their poor employee practices, their active lobby against unionization of workers, and the fact that they cause all the small mom & pop stores from every community they invade to go out of business--
If you're like me and you can totally ignore their negative effect on the communities they infiltrate, then you should go to their bakery section and buy some strawberry shortcake mini rolls. They are totally worth the 190 calories.
They do leave a guilty taste in your mouth though.




3 comments:

Megan said...

Is that Holden enjoying a sinful Strawberry Pastery?? lol He seems to have no problem with it. : )Nice buy on the bowl too! : )

Amanda S. said...

Wow Holden is growing up so fast! Such a cutie! Awesome deal on the bowl it looks so fun! Don't you love it when you want something so bad and then you find it at a garage sale or something like that, I like the think of them as little bonuses from God for waiting.

Amber said...

Yay for Goodwill! I also have found some good deals there lately for some decently nice things.