Sunday, October 3, 2010

Red Rum

I'm not sure how I always find myself in creepy hotels...but I forgot to tell you that last weekend it happened again.

Let me paint you a picture:
Industrial Area
Kansas City, MO.
We walk into the hotel and everything seems okay at first. The furnishings are an ultra modern style but obviously dated (maybe 1990's?). The paintings on the wall are modern and vaguely disconcerting for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

We check in.

We walk around the corner to the elevator and I start to feel unsettled. There is no one in this hotel. I mean literally no one.

The hallways felt very much like The Shining.

Of course, we were there with friends for a football game the next day so the other two couples we were with were staying on the same floor (6th floor).

We get in the elevator. It doesn't really work properly, which I wasn't terribly concerned about but things still just seem off.

We unlock our room and it is sort of nice, although the bathroom seems like it was remodeled with scraps. It was odd, but at least it was clean with no evidence of bedbugs.
We went down to the lounge to have drinks and found what were perhaps the only other guests in the hotel--a group of about 6 people. One of whom had a nice mullet.

Went back to our room. It was very, very quiet--which was actually a nice change from most hotels I have stayed in. I was feeling okay about the whole situation, until we got up the next morning to check out and have the continental breakfast.

The desk attendant let us know that breakfast was served at 7 a.m. and waved toward a long hallway. We wandered quite a ways down a deserted hallway, past a closed restaurant (which was actually physically dusty, chairs on tables, dark, etc.) into a small room where they had set up a coffee machine and strangely enough...an omelet station with a "chef" taking orders.

I eschewed breakfast and coffee and started back down the winding hallway to the car. On the way I couldn't help but peek into the ballroom of the 'convention center' where it was dark--but I could see messy, overturned tables. At that point I had that somewhat familiar gut feeling that I should get the hell out of there.

Turned, and walked out the door.

I honestly don't have any particular complaint about the place. Just a strange uneasiness when I think about it.

Next time we're staying at the Plaza.

No comments: