Thursday, September 10, 2009

French fries are vegetables, right?

I took my first-ever power nap today. I’m not a napper by nature, usually I can’t sleep during the day but I was up most of the night with Holden. As a mother I thought I would eventually be able to decipher what he needed, but sadly, no.

Today, desperately seeking answers for my lack of sleep, I commented to Tony,

“Maybe he’s teething?”

In what can only be described as a curt response I got, “He’s always teething.” The dear hubby is trying to quit previously mentioned nicotine habit and was also trying to escape to the basement to watch football. Clearly not the time to start a conversation. Or argument. Or both. So I requested a mere five minutes of discussion and let him retreat to his cave.

When I woke up from my power nap I proceeded to eat a whole order of steak fries dipped in nacho cheese for dinner (Healthy I know. Blame it on the fatigue and general weakness of willpower.) To round it out nicely and make myself feel less guilty I did manage to grab a bag of steamfresh vegetables and throw them in the microwave for 5 minutes.

My dear hubby took my son downstairs until his bedtime to play so I could study for a huge effing test I have tomorrow that I’m quite concerned about. Between the dogs, the kid, and the husband I have to say it’s very hard to get anything done for school. I had a moment after I was done with the two hours of studying where I allowed myself to wonder if perhaps two years of a stress level this high might somehow do permanent damage to me. I think the answer is possibly. But come hell or high water I’m finishing the program this time.

Sometimes I do wish I was able to muster the kind of enthusiasm for life that say, my son has. All I have to do is lay him on the changing table, and he starts talking, delighted to be obtaining a fresh diaper,

“Pee Pee! Poo Pee!”

Where does he learn these things?

No comments: