Thursday, September 3, 2009

Present

I was in class today (for those of you falling behind on your reading--it's nursing school). Two things to picture
1) Me-with my glasses askew like a nutty professor because of Holden's delightful discovery of them yesterday
2) 18 year old size 0 wide eyed dance team member who is also a classmate of mine

We had to work in a small group and I happened to be the only one who had actually done my assignment. After I (obviously) helped everyone do their assignments we were casually chatting. Some of them seem to already know each other, and because I am totally just trying to get done with school, take care of my kid, see my husband from time to time and help take care of my dad I haven't made a whole lot of effort to get to know them yet. I do think I have some time between about 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. that is free, though.

There were three of them sitting across the table who started asking questions,
"What do you do?" they inquired. They seemed to be posing the question to the table but were all looking directly at me.
"I was in paramedic school, then worked in home healthcare, and have stayed home with my son for the last year." I replied, all friendly-like.
18 year old smiling dance team member:
"Oh, I always wonder why people decide to go back to school."
That is what she said, and this is what I heard: 'you are OLD!'
School is easier now, and even in two years I can sense a startling difference in my level of confidence. I think my late twenties are the best time of my life so far
(if you ignore the other big factors--terminally ill father and the most recent dead baby-if you take those out of the mix then it's a rollicking good time at my house).

But in all seriousness, I do love being 27.

1 comment:

Lisa S. said...

Oh to be an 18 year old size 0 wide eyed dance team member again. . . Wait . . . I was never any of those things!! She will soon face reality, and join the real world.

You are doing great Kara!