Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The S word

I'm pretty sure Holden learned the word "shit!" from me. No, I'm positive. He is a sponge and I have tainted him with my expletive use. I was doing something at the sink and accidentally spilled a whole cup of water on top of my cell phone charger, and near the base of our house phone and I had no kitchen towels. Actually, I had no towels upstairs at all (no paper towels either--for some reason we are always out of paper towels). I'm so behind on laundry I would even go so far to say that we had no clean towels. The first thing out of my mouth was "Shit!". Holden happened to be standing right underfoot and started gleefully saying in toddlerspeak "Shit! Shit! Shit!"

I still can't help but laugh. I know, I'm a terrible mother. I do try to get him to stop but at odd times he just starts saying it over and over now. I'm crossing my fingers that in public no one else will be able to tell what he's saying. He can't really form the SH sound yet at the beginning of words so no one but me would probably notice. I'm going cold turkey on the swearing but it's not going well. Let's see, I even typed it 5 times in two paragraphs today. This could be bad.

On a different "s" word note I have a confession to make. Last week some (girl)friends came over and we drank some delicious wine from a new local vineyard. And we ate too many chips with perfect salsa from Chili's. And we talked about s-e-x. Ever since I got married I haven't had much to say about that particular subject to friends. There is something about marriage that makes it feel like it's only okay to talk about it with your spouse. Even with my closest friends I rarely discuss the matter (not because I don't want to, but because I consider it a matter of respect to the hubby).

I don't really think he minds though. The topics we discussed that night in retrospect were quite a lot of information to divulge, even to good friends. I told my dear husband about this conversation and he didn't seem to mind, the matter was unimportant to him. But then I found out at the bachelor party he went to last weekend they were talking about their sex lives! I'm a total hypocrite because I was completely caught off guard by the idea of his friends knowing that stuff about me.

What do you think? What is the rule when (and if) you discuss it with your good friends?

No comments: