Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Foodie


Pet peeve #234: The way the table is always sticky at pancake houses.


I don't know what made me think of this while I was in the shower this morning. It wasn't precipitated by any breakfasts, lunches, or dinners. I was just wondering if this bothers anyone else? Makes me wonder what the kitchen looks like if the top of the table isn't even clean. Although I do think that maple syrup would be a bitch to clean up all the time. And it's not like they pay those waitresses enough to deal with stupid drunks that come in at 1:15 a.m.


Anyway--


I had the best idea today...I was looking for a good dessert to take to a 3rd of July party and found this recipe by Paula Deen


1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.


I haven't actually tried this recipe, but based on the fact that it's Paula Deen's recipe I'm willing to make it and take it without a test run. I won't actually eat any (because look at the recipe!) because I am watching what I eat. But apparently I am some kind of masochist--because just imagine this on a cake plate with the center of the ring of the cake filled with sliced strawberries...mmmm....

1 comment:

Tonia Koch said...

looks yummy to me!!