Tuesday, June 2, 2009



I was at Walmart yesterday (I know, big surprise, right?) and my child--my sweet angel--started screaming. The offense? I had taken away the scrap envelope he was playing with (it had my shopping list on it). Keenly aware of the many eyes on my neck--most likely people with no children wondering why I can't control my kid--or old ladies who have trouble remembering what it's like to have a one year old and thinking mean things about me, I tried to make him stop. I was suddenly propelled into my new role as mother-of-toddler by this particular incident and foresee many like it in the near future.



Am I one of those mothers who will do anything to pacify her child? Am I one that starts yelling at their kid in the aisle? I don't know.


I was saved by the fact that he has an extremely short memory since he is only one and also on my list were some pool toys I was going to buy anyway. So that made him very happy from the toy section to the cold foods. Crisis averted.


Something no one ever told me about marriage is how much diplomacy and negotiation is involved. I mean really. I think when I do this another 40 or 50 years I would be a good candidate for secretary of state (assuming in 50 years things in our government haven't significantly changed--and that I'm still alive).


For example, when my hubby calls and asks if he can go have a beer with the guys? Someday it will become easier for me to say yes. I won't have to think about how I've been with a child all day and really just want to not have to take care of him for awhile, and wouldn't it be nice if my husband would just come home and not be so social?

But I am getting better because I actually said yes the other day and it didn't bother me much. I think it helped that The Bachelorette was on for two hours that night and Holden went to sleep without so much as a peep. If I had just gotten married (it's been 4 years already!) it could have been a fight, but I was in such a good mood when my dear husband got home it prompted him to ask if I was drunk (and no I wasn't).

I must be bitchy a lot if he thinks the only time I'm happy is when I'm drunk. I'm gonna have to work on that. Or start drinking more.

No comments: