Thursday, February 5, 2009

Heavy Heart

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
~Edmund Burke

I have a moral dilemma. I don't even know if it is technically a moral dilemma but it feels like one. I have a relative with two children. One has special needs and is very hard to handle, and the other has special needs emotionally only because of the way he has been raised, in a very unstable environment.

Background: Relative got married, had two kids in two years. Has never had a job really, and his wife left him when the kids were like 2 & 3. Fast forward...Relative got remarried to someone who has a lot of kids all of whom are in juvie or jail. Now they are in the process of getting divorced. I might also add that Relative is an alcoholic who is also possibly (and likely) on drugs. This person is verbally and mentally abusive to kid #1 (not the special needs kid).

All of these things have come to a head in the last few weeks and the police have been called several times as well as social services (not by me though). So I am wondering...what do you do? We don't have the resources to take in one kid, let alone two and one with disabilities. But they don't belong with this relative any more so how do we get social services to see that before something terrible happens to them? Oh, and now Relative is 'on the run' because he thinks everyone is trying to take his kids away from him (which is true but he is way paranoid and I'm pretty sure that's from the drugs).

The one kid's life is being ruined and I don't know how to help him. He could be a good and productive member of society if just given the chance to live in a normal environment (I believe). I feel like the poor kid is falling through the cracks.
My heart is heavy today.

No comments: