Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

We had fabulous Valentine's Day plans...but they didn't exactly work out as planned. We had a chance to check into our hotel (my dad was watching Holden for the night) and we went to dinner at Rib Ranch (I know, romantic...but hey...I wanted ribs) and we had time to go down to the coffee shop and get some hot apple cider (it's delicious at The Mill in Lincoln). When we got back to the hotel room about 7:30 the phone started ringing. I was just about to light a fire in our fireplace when Wonderful Husband's aunt calls to say that his uncle is in the hospital.

We found out last week that he has lung and throat cancer and it's most likely advanced, although I don't know all the details because for some reason we never get all the details. So he is in ICU on a ventilator and unresponsive. They don't know how long he was without oxygen because I believe he had pretty severe pulmonary edema from a ruptured blood vessel in his lung(s). I'm just guessing this because as I said, I don't get enough details usually.

So...Tony's aunt couldn't get a hold of anybody except him on Valentine's day since everyone was out doing things. But luckily he was able to contact his sister who lives in Omaha so she could go to the hospital to check on things. But Tony then felt like it was necessary to go pick up his Grandma from central Nebraska so she could get to the hospital as fast as possible.

He drops me off at home and goes to Grand Island to pick her up. And then on the way the check engine light goes on in the car. So I had to go meet them and change cars and drive back home at about 1 am. It was quite the Valentine's Day. And no one got much sleep.

Tony and his family are still at the hospital (I am home with Holden). I think they need lots of prayers tonight. And some sleep hopefully too.

No comments: