Friday, August 21, 2009

After 9:17

Sometimes at night after Holden goes to bed and when Tony is gone I take a long, hot shower with the bathroom lights off and the door open so that a small amount of light filters in from my bedroom. It is very relaxing. If any day needs to be washed off with some hot water, it would be this one.

I had a wonderful time until 9:17 p.m. That's when all hell broke loose. Before 9:17 I was having a fabulous day. A well deserved night out with the girls...we went to a charming small Mexican restaurant that has the best margaritas around (as far as I'm concerned), where most of the staff is actually Mexican, with red booths and darling abstract chandeliers--where when I sat down the waiter said (in broken English).
"I am Miguel, I will be serving you tonight."

I'm willing to toast two large strawberry margaritas to hearing a man say
"I will be serving you tonight" Now all I need is a foot rub.

After the wonderful dinner we went to the movie The Proposal, and I have to say it's been a long time since I walked out of a movie telling myself I was going to buy it on DVD--but I am going to buy this one on DVD.

Then L dropped the other ladies and me off at our cars in the Mazatlan parking lot (she obviously had to drive because of the two margaritas we each downed before the movie). I made it about four blocks before things started going very wrong. My husband had called twice. My brother had called during the movie (phone on silent). Now I know my husband and he would never call me twice while he was watching a baseball game with tickets behind home plate unless he really needed to get a hold of me.

As far as I can gather from each person I talked to--my stepmom, my brother, and my husband...
My dad had a seizure episode that they couldn't control this evening. That means he kept having seizures over and over, which is life threatening because the muscles in the respiratory system are not able to sustain that type of constant contracting for very long--they get too tired. The doctors decided to sedate him and intubate him. When I say sedate I mean it's essentially a medically induced coma so that his respiratory system can get a break from the seizures.
I can feel the pressure rising, I feel like a rubber band pulled too tight. We have no answers. I have several concerns that range from whether it's the swelling causing it (best case scenario), the infection causing it (middle case), or the tumor has progressed into grade 4 (worst case).

I don't even know what to do with myself.
Things were going so well until 9:17 p.m.

1 comment:

Tonia Koch said...

that really sucks girl!! hopefully everything works out for the best and he gets better soon!! if you need anyone to talk to!! i'm here!!