Monday, August 17, 2009

Lessons from little ones

I'm feeling a little guilty. It's because when I was pregnant with Holden I mostly subsisted on carbs (read: bread) and oreo flurries (poor man's blizzard). And prenatal vitamins.
So I feel that now, as my child grows, his penchant for bread--plain bread (hey-at least it's wheat) has a lot to do with what I fed him in-utero.

I did learn many lessons from my pregnancy with Holden
1) do not gain 12 lbs. in the first trimester.
2) do not feel guilty if you are physically unable to breastfeed because you had surgery and your kid has an attached upper lip that the damn lactation consultant should have noticed.
3) eat healthy when you are pregnant, you will feel better

There are many more. In my subsequent pregnancy I did eat better--there were no flurries to be seen except those falling from the sky and I gained 0 lbs. in the first trimester. We all know how that ended up, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying to be a good pregnant person. I really can't lie, I didn't do it so much for Ally as I did for myself. I did not want to feel like a beached whale in the middle of the summer.

In my defense of the carb situation with Holden, when I am pregnant I can't eat any meat. It makes me nauseous to even smell it. At one point with Allison I think I had to leave a restaurant it was so bad (it didn't help that DH and my dad were doing oyster shots--it's as gross as it sounds--a bloody mary shot with a raw oyster in the shot glass).
But with Holden it was just pork and tacos that made me ill. I still refrain from eating pork. And taco seasoning, to my dear husband's chagrin. He says a taco just isn't a taco without the seasoning.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Hey Kara! You inspired me to figure out how to add myself as a follower to your blog-not too hard at all. I hope you'll dish on the real unedited version of how you and your hubby met over margaritas Friday! :) See you then! (I can so relate to your Amigos experience by the way)

Renee