Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Please excuse our mess (part two)











I think I'm having an anxiety attack. Not a really really real one, but a slight one. The kind where you have to coach yourself to just breathe.

I'm not sure why but I'm freaking out about every little thing lately. Like my dear husband wants to buy a freezer for $75 and it's wigging me out. For no good reason, since we can afford it. I just don't want to afford it. You should see my garage--well you can see it in the photo. Does it look like I have room for a damn freezer in there? I need to have a garage sale but I don't have time to have one and I can't move furniture at the moment (the knee thing).


Just breathe.

Don't even get me started on the basement. It was supposed to get cleaned sometime in March (I think I posted about it, do you remember?) I'm not going to post a picture because I'm sure you get the idea from the looks of the garage. I don't know why I have so much crap in there, I hate clutter so it doesn't make much sense. It's funny because whenever my dad walks (walked) into my house he says, "Where did you get this messiness gene from?"

The funny thing is that he essentially built a two stall garage in the back of his new house to store things. What things, I don't know. I always try to tell him I get it from him, but he doesn't believe me. I do have a definite propensity toward being a pack rat even though I try really hard not to. I just can't say no to something free. Although you should be proud of me because I did turn down a free piano last week. Amazingly.
I don't know if people think we're poor or if they just know they can pawn stuff off on me because I can't say no to freebies or what. Maybe both? I do think that Tony's family doesn't understand that we're not poor, I am just very very uh, frugal. I get that from my dad (which may also explain his pack-rat ways).
Also, the other picture is my cabinets half-painted because my mother-in-law got so tired of looking at the unfinished ones (see bottom half) (top half doors are painted but not on yet)that she came yesterday and painted them herself. Apparently unfinished projects bother her...but I can leave mine for years. Although it is refreshing when they are finished (or close to finished)(photo of my front flowerbeds).

Final picture is my sweet boy on our new (used/given to us by stepmother) leather furniture. He likes the suppleness of the leather, not that he can make the chair rock. Really. He is an enigma of a little man who can appreciate nice furniture (oooooo....aaahhhhh!!) and then dump some milk on it the next minute. So darn cute (except the milk thing).


I'm feeling better already.
p.s. the couches and chair are the kind of freebie that I love. I don't love the reason my stepmom was giving them away but I think she gave them to us in particular because for many years (like 5 or 6) in Dad and T's old house he made everyone use a couch in the family room that he bought for $2. It was sort of a cross between avocado and lime and about 8 feet long but the most comfortable couch ever.
Anyway, she knew that I refused to buy a new couch (the old green, dog smelling one I mentioned in a previous post). So I think she wanted us to have a nice one and not repeat history (however wonderfully frugal it may be).
p.p.s. I also got a free oak rolltop computer desk last week that I will post a picture of later.







p.p.p.s. My dear husband told me I sounded stoned in my last post.

1 comment:

AEdwards said...

There was a little stoney-ness to the last post. :)
Um - your garage, seriously? Kar, just you wait until i'm in town and will gladly help you break the hoarding habit. Have you ever seen those intervention-like shows on TLC? perhaps I'll arrange for a visit.. ;)