Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Words

My son Holden started babbling about a month ago. I of course was helping him practice "ma-ma" so that he could say my name first. To be fair, I also practice "da-da" with him but really say mama more so it was not really surprising that his first babble was ma-ma. It took him two days to figure out how to move his lips the right way, and most of those two days he spent looking like a little old man with no teeth (he still has no teeth at 9 months!). I was triumphant when he finally said the syllables.
My triumph was short lived. Now the only time he says it is when he is crying or whining. So every time he gets upset it sounds like he is crying "Mama". Cute, but not exactly what I had in mind.
On a different note, our whole household has been sick for over a week which I attribute to flying since we went to visit my brother in Reno. This is the first time my baby has been sick since he was born--which would be fine if I wasn't sick as well. So there are two miserable, snotty babies in the house today and one of them is me.

No comments: