Friday, January 23, 2009

Gone With the Wind

My grandma gave me a copy of Gone with the wind a couple months ago. It is a beautiful hardback copy that she has kept since 1964. Despite the fact that I am an avid reader I have never read Gone With the Wind, although I have always meant to.

This copy of the book is so nice that it makes you want to sit on a deep porch in a hammock or chaise on a sunny day in the spring and read for the entire day (if you're inclined to such things). Unfortunately I have neither a porch nor a hammock, and usually the entire day is spent with a baby at home or running errands (which is a blessing but doesn't lend itself to getting much reading done).

When I was in college I used to go to the park, spread out a king size blanket, lay in the sun (or shade) and read my homework. I often imagine that some day in the future I will be able to go to the park, spread out a blanket, lay in the sun and read for pleasure. Of course right now it is too cold and I don't have the day off, but one can dream.

No comments: