Monday, January 26, 2009

Freedom

We have been living without consumer debt for the last 3 years. By that I mean that we only owe a small mortgage on our house (no car payments or credit cards or student loans, etc.).
On a daily basis it is actually pretty easy...the budgeting, etc. We have everything we need and some things we want. But when it comes to big things it is not always quite as easy.
Like wanting a new car. I certainly understand that payments could be made for 5 or 6 years, it's just hard for me to imagine having to pay $250 or $300 a month on a car. We did that for 5 months after we got married (wonderful husband had a car payment at the time) and I hated it more than words can express. When we got married I also had a credit card, and for some reason used it...and also hated it more than anything. I hated getting the bill in the mail every month and paying the bill. I don't think I ever really left a balance on the card, but it was still something I hated. But I would like a new car. I guess patience is a virtue.

It's a funny thing though, now that we have been doing this for 3 years. I don't feel like I need anything. Or want anything. I used to shop for fun but now I don't even want to shop because I can't think of anything to buy. I will admit, at the change of seasons I sometimes want to buy some new clothes. But even then it's only a few things and in the budget. I've been wanting to get out of the house and be by myself and I used to go shopping on my "day off"--but now I can't think of one thing that I really want to buy. I have had my birthday cash sitting in my wallet for the last month and have nothing to spend it on. I even went to the store intending to buy a couple lamps with my birthday money and walked out without buying them.

I'm not sure if this shift in view is due to the "no debt" lifestyle or due to having a child. I can't really tell. I guess I'm starting to understand my Dad better because when I was growing up he never wanted anything. Ever. He occasionally bought new professional clothing because it was necessary, but other than that never really bought anything except groceries. I could not understand his thinking until recently.
I feel blessed to have everything I need, and most things that I want. And more importantly to have my wonderful family.

No comments: