Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Better than the last

It's dreary today. I felt fine all day until this afternoon and now it's dragging big time. I
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and my doctor said something that kind of struck me. He said emotionally each day should be better than the last (or the same--I asked). If things start going downhill instead of getting better then there is a problem. I don't feel better than yesterday, but I don't feel worse either. So that's good.

I was lurking around facebook today and reading about someone who I have heard a lot about. Kind of has a "reputation" if you know what I mean. This person is now in a long term relationship and seems quite happy with their life. I think they are doing well. So I have to wonder...does your "number" affect you later? I mean, say you get married--all you out there who have a) stayed a virgin till marriage or b) only slept with your spouse this does not apply to you. Well actually it does apply to you if you are (a) or (b) and your spouse has a little more history than that.

So anyway the point I'm getting at is that we're told (well many of us are told) from day one (in church) that if we happen to have premarital sex or more than one sexual partner that it will affect you FOREVER and ruin your future relationships and all sorts of other things that I just don't think are true. I mean, there may be a little residual effect but is it really the end of the world? And what are your experiences with this type of scare tactic for kids?

Now I know some people truly believe that this is the truth...that their marriage will be ruined forever by the ghosts of the past (even their past together!). I don't mean to mock this way of thinking but I just don't see how it is even remotely true if you have a healthy and loving relationship with your spouse. I realize this is diametric to what I am supposed to believe as a Christian (and not just a Christian in name either, I truly am).

Isn't it interesting that in theory I agree with the not having sex until marriage camp but just don't see it in practicality? To be quite honest sometimes I see some of my friends who I *know* (and by know I mean I'm pretty sure) waited until marriage and wonder if perhaps on the day they got married they found that they had no sexual chemistry, he couldn't get it up, she only allows him to do it missionary style, he or she has such a low libido that they never want to do it, she can't do it with the lights on, etc. etc.
Surely this only happens to a minority of people, but really only a small minority of people actually wait until they get married. Something like under 10%.

So then, what in the hell do I tell my son and any future children about this little sticking point? Ah the thoughts of parenthood. Hopefully I don't have to (really) worry about this for another 16 years or so. Hopefully.
Isn't this an odd thing to be thinking about right now?

No comments: