Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Shrinking Violet

Funny story. Tony's grandma is in town and has been since Monday. She is staying over to help watch Holden so I can actually get something done around the house. We had a funny conversation the other day. I was talking about how I haven't been able to get much of anything done around the house because, well, I haven't been able to move. The whole c-section thing, you know. And his grandma was like, "Does Anthony ever complain about it?"

I may have laughed. I'm not sure. I can't really remember.

Okay, I have to acknowledge here that I am not a clean person by nature. But I do try really hard to keep my house presentable. Of course I don't try hard to keep it presentable WHEN I CAN'T MOVE, but other than that it's usually ok.

The other question that this brought up to me was whether she thinks I am some shrinking violet or whether she is just a really anal housekeeper. I think perhaps a little of both and it's possible that in her marriage it was a BIG DEAL if things were in the sink for more than 10 minutes. Not sure.

What I do know is that in the many years she has been coming to stay with us she has only taken a bath here once. In all fairness I didn't have a tub stopper--because who takes baths anymore? And I do now becaue obviously we give Holden baths in the regular bathtub. But anyway, she still hadn't taken a bath here until TODAY after she watched me (and by watched, I mean pretty much actually stood there and watched) scrub the bathroom for an hour. I'm being literal here. It was pretty dirty but I scrubbed extra for her benefit.

She is such a nice woman to come and help out. I really do need the help. Also, I guess I shouldn't feel bad. My mother-in-law (who would be her ex-daughter-in-law) said that grandma used to come over and clean her house while she was at work (without asking). I was like, "That would be sweet! I wish I had someone who would do that for me!" Sounds a little bit Everybody Loves Raymond to me though.

And she said that it was an insult to her. Sort of. Hey, I say if you've got someone cleaning your house WELL and FREE you should just consider yourself blessed. My MIL didn't really see it that way though. I suppose in the same situation I would feel the same way. Heck I sort of felt the same way when she asked if Tony complained about my housecleaning.

I guess beggars can't be to choosy though, can they? I need all the help I can get...did I already say that?

Happy Wednesday to you.

No comments: