Thursday, May 7, 2009

You look great! Have you lost weight?

I love my dad very much. As we were looking at (old) pictures of everyone because my brother was searching for our home videos and couldn't find them he said,
"You were really skinny then too." to me. And I couldn't help but say,
"Yeah dad, that's because I didn't eat." And I literally didn't eat. The picture was from 11 years ago when I was 16. And had an eating disorder. And worked out 4 hours a day.

So I have to admit I get a little prickly when anyone mentions my weight. Especially RIGHT AFTER I have a baby. Seriously. I'm willing to give him a break because he just had brain surgery but I probably would have laid into him if not for that simple fact.
To be honest I get cranky when anyone mentions my weight period, even when I'm not pregnant, just been pregnant or about to be pregnant. I hate it even when people say "You look great! Have you lost weight?"

I'm not sure exactly what compels people to say such things. Maybe they think this is a compliment? I'm not sure. Just so you know, it's not a compliment. If you think someone looks great, just say, "You look great!" Omit the weight part. If you don't think they look great, don't say anything.

It's like people who say, "You look tired." I know that I look tired, you ass...I haven't slept for a year of COURSE I look tired. I'm not speaking to anyone in particular just that general comment gets to me. But I digress.

Obviously I'm a little cranky today. Forgive me, I promise the next post will be all sweet and rosy. I will talk about how much I love being a mother for my mother's day post (even though I hate mother's day), and I will not complain once about how I haven't had much sleep in a year.

I hope that you all are doing well in internetland, do any of you have blogs I can read? I get bored with the same old blogs I always go to. There is nothing more fun than going to my bookmarked blogs and seeing that my favorite bloggers have posted something new or finding a new blogger that I love reading about.

1 comment:

Amanda S. said...

Totally agree with the comments that people make even if i do make them myself occasionally.